Ice Dam and Snow Removal Service in Dickinson
The purpose of shingles and other roofing materials is to let water drain off your house. Water that is backing up from the ice wall begins to migrate under your shingles in search of the quickest way to drain downward. Your roofing materials just don't have a chance because they weren't made for this. Water will prevail, and the ice barrier will keep growing, blocking the flow of water from your roof.
Snow melts as heat from inside your house rises, but not everywhere at once or in the same places. As the snow starts to melt from the top of your roof, the water reaches the unmelted snow ice, it becomes colder and colder and begins to freeze. This ice accumulates to forms an ice dam, which traps water that freezes and enlarges the wall. The water continues to pool behind the frozen ice dam, which continues to grow.
Your home always releases heat, but it does so more quickly via vents, skylights, and other places with less insulation. This indicates that snow melts there before it melts elsewhere on the roof, especially in places with superior insulation. You can usually see this process begin close to the gutters, which is where most ice dams start.
How do I prevent ice dams from causing damage to my home?
So if you’ve got an ice dam problem that needs fixing, our shovels and specialty built low-pressure streamers make us the perfect underdogs for the job.
About Your Ice Dam Crew in Dickinson
YOUR ICE DAM CREW
The Ice Dam Crew is a team of friendly, ice dam-fighting professionals prepared to assist clients like you with snow and ice dam removal. Our professional Ice Dam Crew has experience removing ice dams. We are fully bonded and insured, and we are a wholly family-owned business. We remove snow and ice dams from many different kinds of properties, including:
- Residential homes
- Movie theaters
- Anywhere ice builds!
If you own property in North Dakota and need help with removing ice dams, our experience professionals are standing by and ready to help.
Your Ice Dam Crew Guarantee
Removing ice dams from your roof can be dangerous and may cause damage if you do not get professional help.The Ice Dam Crew's qualified experts can quickly and safely remove the ice dams that have formed as well as the snow that has accumulated on your roof. It is risky to climb onto a snowy or ice roof in Dickinson during the winter. For both your safety and ours, we want to assure you that we are completely bonded and insured. We take all necessary precautions to ensure our safety while working on your roof.
Having a trustworthy company working on your roof is important and so is your piece of mind. Included with our 22+ years of experience, we provide you with our before, during, and after photos. If you are need of snow removal or you are ready to take steps to prevent ice dams on your roof, we are standing by to help! Visit our FAQs page for the full rundown.
We DO NOT use hot water pressure washers like most Ice Dam Removal companies. High pressure washers can damage your roof and shingles when they blast 4000 PSI out of the tip of the hose, and they do not burn as hot as a true custom steamer.
Check out our FAQ's page to see the difference between our true ice dam removal steamer and our competitor's hot water pressure washer.
Ice Dam Crew teams only use steam to remove ice dams. Not only is it more effective and faster, but it will not damage your roof. Steam reaching 250-300 degrees is hot enough to cut through the ice quickly, yet at less than 300 PSI, it will prevent shingle damage on your roof. We are so confident in our process, Ice Dam Crew will stand behind our work. We are fully bonded and insured to cover all of the work we complete.
Should I try to remove the snow and ice dam from my roof?
Here are a few tips when removing the snow from your roof:
1. If you choose to do it yourself, always have safety gear when climbing onto your roof. Use chains for your boots, harness yourself so you do not fall, use a plastic shovel (not one with a metal tip), and always shovel towards the ground so you do not tear shingles off of your roof.
2. When using a snow rake to remove snow from your roof, be sure to remove all of the snow, not just the top layer. You should scrape all the way down to your shingles. When only the top layer is removed, the snow rake actually packs down the snow onto your roof, and this packed down snow causes ice damming. In most cases the snow goes up your roof much further. When this happens, ice damming form the entire length of the area you just shoveled!
3. Uncomfortable with removing ice damming yourself? If you need to hire a professional to remove the snow and ice from your roof, be sure to find the right company. Check to make sure they are bonded and insured. When they are on your roof, don't be afraid to ask questions to ensure safety procedures.
Ice Dam Crew is the leading and most trustedIce Dam Removal company in Dickinson! Ice Dam Crew is fully bonded and insured for all residential and commercial properties in Dickinson. The Ice Dam Crew are the true professionals and skilled at operating in harsh winter conditions. We work all over the Sioux Falls and surrounding areas. Your Ice Dam Crew is the most trusted company in the USA at finding and removing ice dams from your roof!
Reach out to us at 1-855-GOT-ICEE (1-855-468-4233) to get started.
Is there an Ice Dam Crew in Dickinson?
Our Service Area
Proud to Serve The Following Areas:
- Devils Lake
- Grand Forks
- Valley City
- Watford City
- West Fargo
- All Areas in Between
If you are experiencing issues with ice dams beyond those areas, just give us a call! We work throughout the United States and we can take care of your ice dams and the problems they are causing you.
Additional Ice Dam Crew Services in Dickinson
Frequently Asked Questions about Ice Dam Removal in Dickinson
1. A steamer is low pressure & a pressure washer is high pressure. This means we will not cut into your roof using a steamer and cause damage like a pressure washer would.
2. Steamers get much hotter than a pressure washer. Pressure washers used pressure to cut through the ice. This means we get done with the job faster!
3. Less water is used with a steamer so this means you save $$$ on your water bill!
Reason one is there is not enough insulation in your attic. This may cause your roof to heat up. When it is cold outside and your roof heats up this causes the bottom layer of snow to melt, once the running water reaches the overhang of your roof (Which does not heat up) it will freeze on the edge. Over time the ice will keep building up and then the water will have no place to go besides into your home and down your walls.
The second reason Ice Dams form is from having too much snow on your roof. Having a lot much snow on your roof covers your roof vents which release heat from your roof. When the snow is over your vents it acts as insulation on top of your roof keeping the heat in. In this case, it acts the same way as not having enough insulation, it will heat up your roof and cause the water to freeze on the edge of your roof. Clearing the snow off of your roof after each snowfall is very beneficial in preventing ice dams.
Keeping the snow off of your roof is the best thing to do to for your roof when preventing Ice dams. How can ice dams form when there is no water on your roof to cause them?
Here are a few tips when removing the snow from your roof.
- If you choose to do it yourself always have safety gear when climbing onto your roof. Use chains for your boots, harness yourself so you do not fall, use a plastic shovel and not one with a metal tip and always shovel towards the ground so you do not tear shingles off of your roof.
- When using a snow rake to remove snow from your roof be sure to scrape all the way down to your shingles. Do not only remove most of the snow. When this happens the snow rake actually packs down the snow to your roof and this packed down snow turns to ice and in most cases goes up your roof much further. In most cases when this happens ice dams form the entire length of the area you shovel.
Uncomfortable with this? If you need to hire a professional to remove the snow and ice from your roof be sure to find the right company. Check to make sure they are bonded and insured and when they are on your roof don't be afraid to ask questions to ensure safety procedures.
Bonded and insured companies typically charge $300-$500 per hour. Using an Insured company is important because standing on an icy roof in the middle of winter is risky. If someone falls and gets hurt or an ice chunk falls off of your roof and damages something but you didn't make sure they were insured you could potentially be sued or have to pay out of pocket to repair any damages.
Another factor in removing ice dams in an efficient way is using the correct equipment. The Ice Dam Crew uses true low pressure steamers and not hot water pressure washers. When you hire a company you can easily find out what kind of machine they are using. All you need to do is ask to see their wand. If it has a trigger they are using a hot water pressure washer. If it does not have a trigger it is a true steamer. Hot water pressure washers do not burn as hot as a true steamer and they create much more damage because they have such a high PSI. In the case that this happens tell them to leave and hire a company with a true steamer.